Thursday, December 2, 2010

Soyrizo Calzone



Pizza or calzones? I am going to have to say that calzones are my favorite! The place that I like to go to eat calzones is at Whole Foods. Unfortunately whenever I go, they are always sold out. So I figured if I've made pizza before, I should be able to make calzones.

In my opinion, they were really easy to make but do require a little bit of time to make because you have to wait for the dough to proof. If you are not a fan of soyrizo, feel free to add any of your favorite veggies instead. I hope everyone gives this recipe a shot!


Ingredients
Dough
* 1 package dry active yeast
* 1 cup warm water
* 1 Tb vegan sugar
* 3 cups bread flour ( I used 1 1/2 cups white flour and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour )
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 tsp salt
* water, for sealing the calzones
* cornmeal, for dusting

Filling
* 1 1/2 cups vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded
* 1 package of Soyrizo, prepared as directed on package
* Pizza sauce ( I used this recipe )

Directions
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Stir gentle to dissolve and allow to sit for about 5 minutes, until foam appears.

2. Pour the flour in slowly, mixing with a wooden spoon while adding. Add the olive oil, sugar and salt and stir again to combine.

3. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 to 10 minutes, until a smooth dough has formed. Form dough into a round a place in an oiled bowl, turn to coat the entire ball with oil.
Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise in a warm area until double in size, about 45 minutes.

4. When ready, knead the dough gently and divide it into 4 pieces.

5. Sprinkle each piece with flour, knead, cover and let rest for 15 minutes.

6. To assembly the calzones, preheat oven to 400 F. Roll each piece of dough into 10 inch circles.

7. Spoon a little of the filling into one side of the dough and brush the outer edge with water to help form a seal.

8. Fold dough over to enclose the filling and form a large turnover.

9. Roll the edges with your fingers to close tightly and prevent leaking. Repeat with remaining rounds. Cut a few slashes in the top to allow steam to escape during baking.

10. Sprinkle a pizza peel or a baking pan with cornmeal and carefully transfer each calzone. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let the calzones cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

17 comments:

  1. These look fantastic - love the idea and it's a nice change from pizza! Will definitely have to give your recipe a try - love how you've laid out the steps so clearly! Impressive blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a thing of beauty. The filling looks so rich, moist and tasty. I have yet to try soyrizo, but this sounds like a good way to do it! I love your pizza sauce recipe too, with the celery-yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay stop reading my mind -- I was JUST about to research a good calzone recipe today because I was thinking of those spinach Gardein ones at Whole Foods! Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. the rolled crusts are super cute. soyrizo and tomato sauce and cheese filling sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soyrizo? aw'man I can never find the good stuff where I live :( These look super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is simply amaaaazing! And look at those corn dogs in the post below! Jacklyn, I love your food and your presentation. You always make everything look good and sound easy to make. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look beautiful!

    I haven't made calzones in a long time but a combo I really love is pizza sauce, Gimme Lean veggie sausage (cooked before putting in), and chopped steamed kale.

    Yours look much prettier than mine ever do, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds and looks amazing, I never thought to put soyrizo in a calzone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jacklyn! I never knew how to wrap a calzone. You made it look so easy & beautiful here, so now I have to try it. I'm going to lunch today with my new neighbor who I think is going to try to get me to join her cult and drink the Cool-Aid (smile). I'll make them tomorrow though. I've been meaning to try calzones for a while too...
    Hope you have a relaxing weekend, Jacklyn.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Calzones are my favorite, too. I like to mix up the fillings - soyrizo sounds like a good addition! These look beautiful, perfectly folded at the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had soyrizo before, but regardless, these calzones look to-die for! Maybe this recipe is excuse I need to finally try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You keep posting fabulous recipes that I'll HAVE to try. I don't have access to any soyrizo nor vegan cheese, but I'll find something out! I will make them soon, I'll let you know how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WoW ! I so want one of there right now !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just made these for a dinner party of tipsy men and they loved them!
    I used Cheezly super melting and Redwoods chorizo, and even got compliments from meat and dairy eaters!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that's so great to hear, Artichoke Zine! I also have made this for huge meat eater men and they always love it as well. I am glad I could help : ]

    ReplyDelete